Saturday, September 06, 2008

Repair Materials Storage

The Aggies played New Mexico in the mid-afternoon today and I headed out for some lunch ahead of the game. The Mexican food served in downtown Bryan establishments is my favorite thus a trip downtown was in the cards. After the lunch, I found some interesting equipment laying over in the Colorado Materials aggregate unloading area.










The GREX Dump Train is an old friend. In years past, the Georgetown Railroad dump trains were a very common sight here in Bryan / College Station as well as elsewhere in the state. It has been a long time since I've seen one running around and they are now used in support of railroad construction or maintenance. Is this set loaded or empty? It appears empty.

Along with the dump train and in the track right next to it is a string of side dump cars loaded with rip-rap.











Either we have some bridge construction going on in the area or this train is being staged for hurricane duty. I'm not familiar with any area bridge work so I'm going with the latter.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:50 PM

    Leonard,
    I don't know if you remember me, but I am the guy hosting the slide show about 2 years ago in Austin that you and Bruce came to. I check your site now and then. Now my comment, when your site comes up, there is a map in the upper left hand corner that pops up in a few seconds. It covers part of the top story. I can't seem to do anything about it. I use FireFox and maybe that has something to dow with it.

    I used to talk to Charlie Turner at the GRR all the time. He was President until about 1998 or there abouts. They liked the Dump Train and built several. The biggest problem they had was the crushed limestone that they were built for would tend to jam in the hoppers when the gates were opened. I have watched them unload a number of times. There were usually two guys up on the running boards, one on each side. They had 8 or 10 pound sledges and would pound the sides of the hoppers continually to get the load to flow. I don't know if they ever solved that problem.

    Tom Balzen, now in McKinney, which is essentially trainless.

    ReplyDelete